Saturday, February 28, 2009

Peace for the East Muffins

I don't know why people try to fix issues concerning violence with food, or lack of, but they do. Our Salinas mayor Dennis Donohue fasts for peace, and I have made muffins with peace symbols on them. 

Thursday night I arrived at Acosta Plaza to find hundreds of people swarmed around yellow tape, watching as two young men, one 16 years of age and the other 17, were taken away on stretchers to hospitals were they died of gunshot wounds. The next afternoon after hearing "victim of a shooting" on the scanner at work, I arrived at a similar scene less than 1 mile from where I had been the night before. The man shot at this scene died as well.

I do my job and take photographs of the victims

...but after on the car ride back to the office I feel sick to my stomach. Without knowing what to do, and not being one to pray, I tried to clear my mind by baking vegan muffins. After all, vegans don't like to hurt any living being, not even those dirty, smelly piglets.

Combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
Mix well.
Add 3/4 cup of soy milk, 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
Mix well.
Fold in 1 cup of blueberries


In separate bowl, mix together one 8 oz. package of vegan cream cheese and 1/2 cup sugar


Place cupcake papers into muffin pan.
Fill papers half way with blueberry mixture.
Add layer of cream cheese mixture on top of blueberry mixture.


Place blueberries on top of cream cheese mixture in a way that forms a peace symbol


Bake muffins in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 25 minutes


While waiting for the muffins to rise, read about this weeks shootings on The Salinas Californian's website. These muffins are so delicious and make you feel so positive about life that maybe you'll think of going vegan. Check out this site to learn how it's more than just a diet. It can help animals, the environment, as well as our health.

No comments:

Post a Comment